How to throw the best children’s birthday party
May 14, 2015
With lavish children’s parties thrown by celebrities consistently making headlines, are parents are feeling under pressure to plan the perfect party for their kids?
Tanith Carey, author of Taming the Tiger Parent traces this trend back over 15 years: “Reading about how Brooklyn Beckham was thrown a £10,000 first birthday celebration, complete with circus big top and jugglers, suddenly made a traditional game of pass-the-parcel seem dull and out-of-date.
“It’s a fashion that is still going strong with Tamara Ecclestone organizing a petting zoo, complete with Shetland ponies, to mark her daughter Sophia’s first birthday.”
In the video below, Tanith shares her tips and advice for three parents who all struggle with common party planning pitfalls; from the ‘party-zilla’ who take on too much; the last minute over-spender; and the parent lacking confidence to get involved in party games and entertaining.
Top tips for stress free party planning:
• Make it a team effort: Many hands make light work, so enlist help from your friends and other family members. From cake baking to face painting, it’s easy to get everyone involved
• Set the scene: Banners, bunting, balloons and fairy lights are affordable and excellent for creating a party atmosphere
• Child’s play: Always make sure that you have more games prepared than you actually need. It’s much better to have too many than run out
• Prizes: Sweets and small toys work really well for prizes. Remember, the round of applause for winning should be much more exciting than the prize itself!
• Goody bags: Don’t go overboard - children will be delighted with a lollipop, a bouncy ball, a notepad and pen and a slice of cake
• Plan ahead: Make your money go further and reduce stress by planning at least six weeks in advance of your child’s birthday. Signing up to a scheme such as the Argos Birthday Club for information and advice as well as exclusive offers
Helping to reduce the costs and take the stress out of children’s party planning, leading digital retailer Argos has launched a dedicated online hub, The Birthday Club, offering parents ideas, useful hints and tips and exclusive offers on all party supplies and children’s gifts in a one-stop party shop.